Hydrangeas

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Untitled

I spent some time yesterday meeting with Brian Stevens. This man is a candidate for state senate in 2014. He is running against Stacey Campfield. I have never met a candidate running for office before. I don't believe I had ever had the notion that this person was someone I could relate to, therefore, I wasn't really interested in meeting someone just so that I could "get a good look at them". I appreciated that Brian Stevens wanted to know what was going on in the minds of his constituents. I believe that the purpose of having a representative in government, is to provide our community a "say' in how things are done, as well as to provide the community insight into what is discussed and decided at the state level. So many of these laws affect us, and yet, most of us do not know what is entailed. I know you've heard of the "ridiculous laws" that are ancient, and not updated and just "don't fit the times". Well, I believe that some of those laws are not so ancient, and were passed because not enough people knew that there was even a discussion about making these types of decisions. I would like to push for our citizens of Knoxville, Maryville, YourTownUSA to become educated on the process of government on every level. There are so many things that you could have a say to and you wouldn't have to be subjected to decisions that have ramifications that affect your life for years to come. You could make your city "smart" by being a part of the conversation. It's not necessarily the way things have been done, but with dwindling resources and stressed economies, etc... it's definitely necessary. Good Luck to Brian Stevens! More importantly, good luck to Knoxville. May your representative in 2014 TRULY represent the opinions of an educated majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment