Hydrangeas

Monday, January 16, 2012

January 16th has many interesting memories

Today is a federally designated holiday honoring Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior. According to The Corporation of National and Community Service's website, this holiday, established in 1983, was purposed to be a day of service. According to the website, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s vision was not just focused on civil rights, but responsible, sustainable community. I spent most of my life hearing facts about Dr. King during this month. As a teacher, you are encouraged to teach about Dr. King during this month. I however, had never specifically learned that Dr. King's legacy included community participation and giving. I think it is wonderful. I would like to take this information and share it with my students. Most likely I will develop a project that my students can participate in that will honor Dr. King's vision of community service and community development. There is more information available at http://mlkday.gov/about/serveonkingday.php . I urge you to hop on the link and check it out. I will follow through on some of my service projects today in order to honor a man who lived by his heart and believed in the ability of people to be human. I wish that I could have met him. Thank you Dr. King, for everything.


January 16th has been the birth of many other interesting memories as well. Check out This Day in History from the History Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment