Hydrangeas

Monday, July 25, 2011

Front Legs

There are many stages of life. For us, they are marked by significant events that show the world that we are different "now" than who we were "before". There is the stage where you get to stay home alone. Then, you get your driver's permit. About this time, your parents start showing an increase in their pre-mature graying, or start to dye their hair. You know how the rest of this story plays out.

Well, those of us who do not have children of our own, may not ever experience these life stages. We can look towards are pets, but dogs are subtle in their development. You swear that you never noticed when they stopped looking like a jangly pup and began to look like a regal dog. The fish in our tanks, well, they don't do anything but swim around. Honestly, if they don't die, I'm happy.

Today I had my chance to witness my second life stage in my little frog's life. The baby tadpole wiggled out of its jelly sack. That meant I had to transition it to its very own "tad cup". Now it has a little studio apartment with high ceilings, some greenery and fallen leaf decor. Another transition that occurred today was the observance of real front legs in the larger tadpole. It now has four legs, two in front, and two in back. I can also see spots on its body. It looks just barely like it will look in a few weeks, but I can see where it's going on how its going to get where it is.

This is a great transition for me to witness. I'm not saying it compares to having a human baby, but it's really fun and pretty cool to watch mama nature doin' her thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment