Hydrangeas

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Give Yourself Credit

I believe we learn early in our lives to receive constructive criticism, compliment others, and otherwise show others good favor. I deliver constructive criticism easily, but far more enjoy delivering compliments. At times I wonder if people consider my compliments a form of brown-nosing. They are not. If they paid attention, my compliments rarely set me up for any form of reward.
So who do I compliment? Is there a pattern or message in the answer to this question?
I like to compliment people whom  I think "look cute" in an outfit, or have a particular article of clothes that I like, or are wearing a color that I love. I also compliment people on their self-control, physical fitness, and successful risk taking. I compliment people on having a clean home, and/or a happy child and family. Finally, I will compliment people on self-awareness and emotional intelligence. I suppose that if I evaluated those areas of my life, I would say that those areas are the ones in which I feel about bit unrealized. As I continue to look back, I will note that I limit compliments to others in the areas where I feel self-confident. Would it seem arrogant if I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment