Hydrangeas

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sound

The power the sense of hearing has on my mood amazes me. Just today I experienced a huge shift in focus when I turned off the chatter of a weekend television show, turned on the soothing sounds of "new age" music, and then realized that my aquarium was a gurgling brook in my own living room. That's a lot to notice.
Although I felt it was a good shift at the time, I soon realized that even the nondescript music and the gurgling of my aquarium pump was a distraction. I laughed to myself. I chose not to judge myself, or the moment, but just became aware of it.

A friend of mine has been talking to me about mindfulness recently. Just this morning, ABC shared a story n the link between happiness and mindfulness. The story was an affirmation of what my friend and many others have been saying for as long as I can remember. Pay attention to where you are now. In this moment, are you satisfied? They even shared a quote by Mark Twain that I found fascinating, "I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened." ~ Mark Twain.

As I walk gracefully or stumble out into this day I will attempt to catch myself, in the moment as often as I can. Am I happy and content at this moment? You betcha!

No comments:

Post a Comment